Andrew Hudson - Director
Andrew is a Partner in the Litigation team at Rigby Cooke Lawyers in Melbourne, specialising in International Trade & Customs. Andrew is a regular presenter at industry forums on legal and trade developments and media commentator on such legal and trade developments.
Customs and Trade Experience examples
- Representing a significant Australian manufacturer in a number of AAT matters to oppose applications for Tariff Concession Orders (TCOs) by importers
of competing products.
- Representing significant Australian importers of bed linen in an AAT action to reinstate TCOs leading to a refund of customs duty and GST in excess
- Representing parties in AAT matters relating to valuation, tariff classification and TCOs.
- Acting for Chinese manufacturers and exporters of chemicals to oppose allegations of dumping of its product in Australia.
- Acting for a major Australian importer of Asian foodstuffs to oppose the application of anti-dumping measures including successful review of Customs
action to the Trade Measures Review Officer (TMRO).
- Representing major Australian importers of aluminium road wheels to oppose allegations of dumping and subsidy of the products in Australia. This included
successful review of the actions of Customs before the TMRO and subsequent successful review of the actions of Customs and the Minister for Home
Affairs before the Federal Court.
- Representing Australian importers and Korean exporters of hot rolled coil steel to oppose allegations of dumping of those products in Australia.
- Representing Australian importers of galvanised steel to oppose allegations of dumping and subsidy of the products in Australia.
- Representing Chinese and Korean exporters of Power Transformers to oppose allegations of dumping of power transformers.
- Acting for a number of Australian companies to review tariff classifications adopted by Customs and incorrect use of concessional items by Customs
leading to a reduction of duty payable and refund of past duty paid.
- Acting for industry associations, importers and service providers to secure compensation for losses following the introduction of new Customs IT systems
and in response to incorrect actions by Customs and other Government agencies.
- Representing industry in relation to the introduction of new legislation including submissions to Customs on new legislation and procedural changes,
appearances before Senate Inquiries into implementing legislation and before the Productivity Commission review of Free Trade
- Agreements and the Australian anti-dumping and subsidy regime and the Brumby review of that regime. This has also included submissions to the Senate
Inquiries on Trade Modernisation Legislation, legislation imposing strict and absolute liability (including for Customs offences) new anti-dumping
legislation, proposed Free Trade Agreements, proposed WTO Agreements and other Customs reform.
- Representing parties in investigations by other Government agencies including defending prosecutions by those agencies.
- Representing major Australian food manufacturers and exporters and other companies in trade in Australian and overseas including defending investigations
by overseas Governments and their agencies.
- Advising on other regulatory and compliance issues including recent focus on licensing of service providers and cargo reporting issues and the customs
aspects of Transfer Pricing arrangement.
- Extensive involvement in education to industry groups by industry associations including delivery of a number of presentations to the CBFCA CPD program.
Areas of Expertise:
- Customs Regulations
- International Relations
- International Trade Law
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property
- Bachelor of Arts (University of Melbourne)
- Bachelor of Laws (University of Melbourne)
- Admitted to practice in April 1988
Become A Member
VEKTA Advanced Automation
Member of the ECA
"In 2014 Vekta Automation became involved in the Export Awards and started to get a better understanding about the role of the Export Council of Australia. After attending a seminar in Perth in February 2019 the decision was instantly made and we signed up the next day. A decision we should have made 5 years earlier. For Vekta, the information, expertise and networking opportunities that the ECA provides has been valuable. It is reassuring knowing that there are experienced and knowledgeable people we can turn to when advice is needed."
Established in 1970, Mavlab Animal Health Pty Ltd is a Queensland based, family-owned, GMP licenced manufacturer of veterinary pharmaceuticals and pet care products. Mavlab has an extensive range of prescription and over the counter products sold in a growing number of global markets. Contract manufacturing opportunities are also available.