Australia's Annual Music Exports Worth $195M: Report
Born Global: Australian music exports was just released - the first comprehensive report that calculates the value of the Australian music industry as an international export.
The research was conducted over three years by the University of Newcastle and Monash University, in partnership with Sounds Australia, APRA AMCOS and
the Australia Council for the Arts.
- The export value of the Australia music industry is estimated to be approximately $195 million. This includes the combined export income of Australian artists, music publishers and record labels.
- Digital platforms are providing new business models for artists to reach global audiences. However, professional networks and spending time in a target market remain key factors in achieving international success.
- Government grants provided the largest source of export support among surveyed artists. Those with support from both government and industry reported the greatest export success.
- Live performance remains the top source of international income for Australian musicians.
- The biggest markets for Australian music are the US, UK and Germany, and there is further potential to tap in to growing interest in Australian music from other regions.