World Trade Organisation Trade Facilitation Agreement—2014 Inquiry
- Being a multilateral agreement, the WTO TFA benefits will be offered on an MFN basis, which is the best possible outcome for Australian exporters.
- Australian exporters, especially small exporters, will benefit from the WTO TFA because of the additional transparency and access to information
if affords. For example, the requirement of all member countries to publish relevant procedures and forms for importing goods on the internet,
as well as the provisions on advanced rulings will provide more clarity and confidence to businesses before their goods leave Australia. Indeed,
the ECA believes that the WTO TFA may form a platform to develop provisions for Rules of Origin and Certificates of Origin that could be specific
to SMEs as these procedures often unfairly disadvantage smaller companies.
- The speeding up of import procedures and processes will enable Australian goods to get to market quicker. The quick release of perishable goods
is a noteworthy benefit of the WTO TFA and one that will be welcomed by Australia’s food and beverage exporters.
- Improving trade facilitation will reduce business costs for Australian exporters and make their goods more affordable to overseas consumers, thus
improving their international competitiveness.
- As stated by DFAT, it is estimated that the full implementation of the agreement could reduce the costs of trading across borders by up to 10 per
cent for OECD countries.
- The WTO TFA is consistent with the obligations of the parties to the World Customs Organisation SAFE Framework of Standards to Secure and Facilitate
Leandra Coffey, Director, Fruity Sacks
Member of the ECA
“Our business is about making it easy for people to make environmentally friendly choices. We are looking to expand into new overseas markets and the ECA have been a huge help in this endeavour. The ECA have given us introductions to key businesses that can help us in the markets we are looking at, and their workshops and seminars on topics relevant to exporting were extremely useful. All up, our association with the ECA has been a great asset to Fruity Sacks.”Become a Member
2M Language Services is Australia's leading language service provider and assist exporters in their international operations with translation, video localisation (subtitling & voice-overs) & interpreting into 250+ languages. 2M's approach to language services combines a team of subject matter expert linguists with the use of state-of-the-art language technology to ensure quality, smart workflows and cost-effectiveness. With services tailored to specific industries and a highly secure encrypted translation environment, you can rest assured that your company's content is in good hands. For more information visit https://www.2m.com.au